our clients' sustainability performance
towards responsible sourcing in construction
CRANE is a specialist environment & sustainability consultancy offering independent strategic advice, practical help and training to construction-related organisations.
CRANE was established in 1994 as an associate company of Venables
Consultancy, which provides training, business development, research, technical development and management services to the construction industry and related fields.
Directors have wide-ranging experience in construction, the environment and how the sustainability agenda affects building and civil engineering, having worked for many years with contractors, designers, environmental agencies, property companies, housing associations, research, voluntary sector and professional institutions.
This experience is brought to bear fully on all our assignments – from individual training courses to strategic sustainability advice at Board level, from environmental management system development to research and innovation projects.
We pride ourselves in having been for many years at the forefront of research and development relating to the interaction between environmental and social issues, sustainable development and construction. This allows us to tap into current leading-edge thinking on the subject of sustainability, sustainable development and sustainable construction.
Recent examples of this are:
- our role in the original development, and now the overall management and continuing development, of CEEQUAL, the assessment and awards scheme for improving sustainability in civil engineering and the public realm
- our assistance, through CEEQUAL, to the American Society of Civil Engineers in their quest to develop a sustainability rating sytem for infrastructure projects
- assisting a major construction materials supplier to secure certification to BES6001 on Resposible Sourcing
- the appointment of Crane’s Chairman, Jean Venables CBE, to visiting Professorships at Imperial College and Strathclyde and Southampton Universities
- assisting a major firm of architects to successfully add formal environmental management to their management systems and gain ISO14001 certification
- the appointment of Crane’s Managing Director, Roger Venables, as Visiting Professor in Engineering Design for Sustainable Development at Queen’s University Belfast.