Environmental & Sustainability Guidance
Crane Environmental offers advice and guidance on environmental and sustainability issues in civil engineering – including public realm works – and building. This includes:
- consultancy on all environmental and sustainability aspects of construction projects
- guidance on how to enhance environmental performance at all stages of construction
- strategic sustainability advice to public and private sector clients
- research and development on environmental issues, sustainable development and sustainable construction.
Examples of consultancy assignments and published guides include:
- Assisting material suppliers to understand and gain certification under BES 6001 on responsible sourcing.
- Advice to contractors and designers on incorporating formal environmental management within their existing management systems, including implementation training.
- Assisting the American Society of Civil Engineers in their quest to develop a sustainability rating sytem for infrastructure projects.
Working with Wildlife Resource and Training Pack, published
by CIRIA in 2004: a comprehensive guide designed to assist the construction industry to implement
good practice in relation to wildlife. Crane Environmental produced
this jointly with Ecology Consultancy Ltd. The complete pack includes species briefing sheets, toolbox
talk sheets and a handy pocket book.
in development teams to improve the environmental and sustainability performance
of civil engineering and building projects through measures such as waste minimisation, use of on-site materials and improving
the ecological value of landscaping schemes.
environmental impact assessments, either as lead consultant
or as part of a larger project team, with particular specialisms
of ecological and construction impacts, and strategic flood
Early studies in Crane's development included:
report for Sustainable Homes on Embodied Energy in Residential
Property Development, as a guide for Registered Social Landlords
to assist them in their choice of materials and advise on potential
energy-saving features for new developments.
CIRIA Environmental Handbooks for Building and Civil Engineering
Projects: The first edition of these was prepared by a team
led by Venables Consultancy, Crane's parent company. Crane was
instrumental in the updated and revised 1999 edition of the
Client's Guide to Greener Construction, a CIRIA publication,
aimed at construction industry clients to enable them to adopt
a positive environmental approach to their projects at any stage
of the construction process.